Now that AutoCAD 2006 has been out for a while and users have been getting more comfortable with Block Authoring. I would really like to get a feel for some wish list items that my fellow readers have.
I will start off the list by adding my TOP wishlist items. Please add comments to this post with anymore you can think of or ones you can add to.
Future AutoCAD Dynamic Blocks Wish List:
- Dynamic Block manipulation from Insert command: This would allow users to Change Visibility states at INSERT. This would also prompt for LINEAR lengths similar to how attributes work at insert. The command line would list all changeable Dynamic block properties for users to manipulate at the time of INSERT.
- Nested Visibility states: The Visibility state manager would open up for a lot more potential if the Visibility state manager allowed multiple nested visibility states. A simple example is say you have a 2x4 piece of lumber block "X". And you have it changing sizes through a linear parameter. And changing to a 2x4 block "/" through a visibility state manager. But if there was a variable for a nested Visibility state, you could manipulate the layers, linetypes without having to have separate states for every single type.
- Dynamic Block Tool Tip Help strings. It would really help users understand what a Dynamic block does once they select the grip or hoover over it. It would bring up a little help string telling them what the Dynamic block grip does similar help strings like the HYPERLINK tool tip does.
- Dynamic block Linear and Polar parameter improvements. It would be nice if the Linear and Polar parameters supported a new option called "Stretch Parameter when included in a Stretch command crossing window and selection set". This option would allow a user to issue the STRETCH command, and then crossing window over their objects and if the selection set and crossing window comes across a dynamic block polar or linear parameter grip with this option set it would stretch the block with the Stretch command. I find myself all the time having to do many tasks twice when I need to stretch out a area of my drawing and have to go back and manually select my blocks grip to stretch it.
- COPY CLIP parameters and actions to clipboard to place into other Dynamic blocks in the block editor. Currently there is no way to copy information from one block to another.
- LOOKUP tables and attributes FIELDS need to Automatically update when modified. Using the Regen command each time to check when a lookup table modifies wastes a lot of time. Especially in large drawings with a lot of text and viewports.
- DRAG and DROP a parameter or action from the Block editor to the Block Authoring palette. It would be nice to store long lookup tables, typical parameter setting to the block Authoring tool palette for quick access to content.
- GRIP Colors. Might help new users understand what a grip does if we could color code each GRIP. So say all linear grips on one block that are chained would be one color. And others would continue to be different colors.
- Visibility state manager improvement. Currently there is no way to take a visibility state and change all objects in the block to a new LAYER or LINETYPE without changing the master objects. It would be nice to have a new option in the visibility state manager called "DUPLICATE OBJECTS FROM CURRENT VISIBILITY STATE" this would allow the user to change layers, and linetypes without having to re-draw all the lines and re-specify selection sets for each parameter and action. Would save a lot time from repetitive tasks.
- BASE POINT PARAMETER Improvement. It would be nice if the Base Point parameter would allow a user to import the X & Y from the base point relative to modelspace units into a Lookup table. So users could hookup a lookup table to the model space X & Y, so when a block hits 0,10,0 it would set the lookup table to "X" And so on. Would allow Dynamic blocks to think on its own.
- Lookup table IF Statements. I would like to see the Lookup tables incorporate some simple IF statements. So you could tell the lookup table, I would like the LOWEST value from my LOOKUP table to ALWAYS be this. And then the LARGEST value from my LOOKUP TABLE LIST to always be this.
Please if anyone has any others I would really like to hear them.